Key Lab of the Ministry of Education: Cancer Institute
Cancer Institute of Zhejiang University established in 1987 is affiliated to the Hospital. It was one of the earliest key disciplines in Zhejiang province. After thirties years' development, it has evolved to be the Key Lab of Cancer Prevention and Intervention recoginized by Chinese Ministry of Education and Key Lab of Molecular Biology in Medical Sciences in Zhejiang Province. It is also a national key discipline. The Institute has established research laboratories such as Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Pathology, Tumor Clinical Pharmacology, Biochemistry Lab and Bioinformatics Lab. The Institute is in charge of a dozen of national or municipal research projects, such as the National High Technology Research and Development Program of China (863 Program, National Science and Technology Major Project, National Key Basic Research Plan “973”, Key Projects in the National Science & Technology Pillar Program during the Twelfth Five-year Plan Period, etc. It has won the National Prize for Progress in Science and Technology, the Scientific Progressive Award by the Health Ministry and National Education Commission, the Scientific Progressive Award by National Chinese Medicine Bureau and several ministerial awards.
Facility and Equipments
The Cancer Institute has 3000 sq.-ft. of BSL2 space including the space for clean tissue culture. The space is equipped with all the necessary items to perform research in classic virology, basic immunology and advanced molecular biology/virology. Large equipments include: SELDI-TOF-MS, BD FACSAira flow cytometer, laser scanning confocal microscope Zeiss LSCM710, MALDI-TOF-MS, Q-TRAP mass spectrum, realtime PCR, DHPLC, freezers, refrigerators, C02-incubators, class II biosafety cabinets, PCR thermocyclers, ultracentrifuge, high speed centrifuge, microcentrifuges, electrophoreses equipment for protein and nucleic acid work, power supplies, spectrophotometer, ELISA reader, plate washer, microscopes and fluorescence microscopes.
- Molecular classification and individual treatment of Colorectal cancer (Chinese High Technology Research Development Plan “863”)
- Digestive system cancer early prediction, intervention and individualized diagnosis and treatment based on integrated proteomics (Key Projects in the National Science & Technology Pillar Program during the Twelfth Five-year Plan Period)
- Comparison and evaluation of colorectal cancer screening program in Chinese community (National “The Eleventh Five Year” Plan)
- Study on two novel genes related colorectal cancer (National “The ninth Five Year” Plan)
- Field research on environmental factor that induced colorectal cancer (National “The Eighth Five Year” Plan)
- Collection and conservation of colorectal cancer family (Chinese High Technology Research Development Plan “863”)
- Study on AIDS in Chinese Population (National “The Tenth Five Year” Plan)
- A Novel Retrovirus Related Leukemia (National Nature and Science Foundation Program)
- Molecular marker from body liquids and individual treatment for tumor patients (National Key Basic Research Plan “973”)
- Establishment of diagnostic pattern for colorectal cancer by SELDI and screening and identification of the protein marker (National Nature and Science Foundation Key Program)