The Department of Dermatology was established in 1949 and was one of the four major departments in the hospital. In 1956, the first training program of Dermatology in Zhejiang Province began here at the Second Affiliated Hospital, when Dr. Yao Jichang chaired the department. Then dermatological service expanded in the areas of STD and mycosis. The department has maintained an active outpatient as well as inpatient service. Now we have expanded into areas of histopathology. In 1984, Prof. Sun Guojun became Chair of the Department and the service expanded to include the autoimmune diseases. In 1996, Prof. Zheng Min was appointed Chair of the Department. A full range of subspecialty programs are available within the Department. The Dermatological Laser Center was initiated, which is the first one in Zhejiang Province. The Dermatological Research Laboratory was set up and investigation were initiated and focusing on basic science with clinical applications. There is also a cosmetic skin service unit and photodynamic therapy for the treatment of cutaneous carcinomas was initiated as well. The resident training program of this department is recognized as the one of the best in Zhejiang Province. Our mission is to be excellent in patient care, research and education.