The Department of Psychiatry was established in 1959 while its clinic was opened in 1985 and its ward put into use in 1998. In 2006, the Department was appointed as the standard residency training base for psychiatrists by the former Ministry of Health of China; in 2008, it was recognized by the CFDA as an official clinical trial organization for psychiatry drugs. The Department has been nominated as the best psychiatry department in eastern China area since 2016 for 3 years running. In 2019, the Department was appointed as the Demonstration Base of Diagnosis and Treatment of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder and the Demonstration Base of Psychological Education by the Chinese Psychiatrist Association.
17 psychiatrists (4 chief physicians, 6 associated chief physicians and 3 attendings etc.), 14 nurses and technicians are now working in the department, serving for 90,000 outpatient visits and 1,500 admitted patients annually.